Saturday, February 23, 2008

I Couldn't Wait

I have been logging in to my application at the university every five minutes this week to see if anything was new. Okay, not *quite* every five minutes, but far, far more then is called for. They finally received my last bit of documentation early last week, and I know I'm expecting miracles to think that any decisions will be made anytime soon, but the suspense is killing me.

I went on a tour today of the computer lab and listened to the director of the game development stream give a talk. You don't know how badly I'd love that stream, but I know that time pressures for game coders are pretty extreme. I'm taking this degree to claim my life back and live on my own time, not to be up for 48 hours straight coding to meet a production deadline. Sure sounds interesting, though.

It was a great week for goodies from Canada Post. (Okay, I bought them all myself, but when I see a parcel in the mailbox, it just plain feels good!) On Monday I got a rather delicious package from Knit Picks. I bought some pretty lace-weight that was on sale, a set of the Harmony 6-inch sock needles, and a set of those absolutely divine Harmony interchangeables. These are the most beautiful tools I have ever had the honour to work with. I don't think I'll ever have to buy another knitting needle ever again... I actually gave away my small trove of Addi's because they were, well, just unnecessary.

I popped my Etsy cherry with some rather spectacular soy simmering tarts from Ficklefaerie. I've got the Egyptian Licorice one on the go right now, and you would not believe how delicious the house smells. She's in Ontario, too; though strangely this doesn't save you anything for postage. However. I like shopping local when possible, and I love the idea of being able to support local entrepreneurs.

Finally, I was randomly flipping through my Knit Picks catalogue (endless hours of fun) when I saw a rather spectacular shawl on the cover of a book. Having just bought lace needles and laceweight merino, I was feeling more then ready to venture into lace shawls. I checked the book out online, fell in love, and bought it; it came in yesterday's mail. The book is beautifully written and photographed, and includes charts as well as written patterns.
30945

Select "View more images" underneath the picture on the Knit Picks page to see more divine patterns in the book. It's a brilliant idea- shawls that are full circles, but with an opening so they fit the shoulders and don't require folding or endless adjustments. I love how they drape! Who wouldn't love wearing one of these.

Plus, the author is a lovely, personable woman. I dropped her a quick note to tell her I loved and bought the book. She responded immediately, offering ideas for a good beginner's shawl for me to cut my lace-making teeth on. I love having that kind of rapport with the author of a book. It's more then a book then; it's a personal experience.

I can't wait to get started on something of hers!


Actually, I couldn't wait. *grins* Although not one of Alison's creations, I cast on some lace this week; the simple but lovely Wisp from Knitty, Summer 2007. I think it's coming along nicely, and my inevitable mistakes are concealed nicely by the very nature of the beast (hairy and holey.)

S6301000
Filatura Di Crosa Superior (cashmere and silk!!), a gift from DH.

What fun! I so need more hours in the day to knit.

A question for other Etsy-ers out there. What are your favourite shops and products?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've got a good husband--that yarn is one of my all-time favorites. It is SO soft. And your scarf is beautiful!

Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated.

kate said...

You are picking up all these new techniques so quickly - it's amazing! I can't wait to see lace shawl you've picked from Allison's book to work on next! What a gorgeous book!

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Moment of truth here. It wasn't until I read this post that I actually visited Etsy for the first time. I've been pondering selling my designs there.

I know what you mean about getting something in the mail. It always gives me that 6 year old at Christmas feeling...even if I'm the one who ordered what is in parcel.

Aline said...

That is so lovely! And what are you studying at University? I got my new Knit pick catalogue and my last visa bill...I guess I will just flip pages for a while...hee hee.